Owl John - 'Owl John'
Having only given this album the most cursory of first plays so far, I'm still pretty sure I completely love it. There are several not-at-all superficial reasons for this:
- The word 'owl' features in the title.
- The word 'owl' features in the artist name.
- The album art is very pleasing, despite the lack of owls.
- It is a solo venture from Scott Hutchison, singer and guitarist from Frightened Rabbit, a band with a similarly pleasing name and album art I will forever love on account of The Midnight Organ Fight.
- On first listen a good number of the ten tracks stood out as 'very good', including Songs About Roses and Stupid Boy, the much-younger brother to Garbage's debut single.[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/159640459" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
- It's had good reviews from people who know what they're talking about, I guess?
I will be sure to report back if it's a complete disappointment on second spin, but at the very least it can't be any worse than the last album I decided to pick up on account of its misleading owliness.